stories of war between boy and machine

Feeding the frontend – displaying data with D3.js Part 2

Carrying straight on from my previous post on the subject, I’m going to go through the alluded to third page to add, which is query.php and change main.js a little, too. The purpose is to swap out the hard coded arrays of data for an external data source, namely a web-based resource rather than any locally stored files using […]

, , , ,

Feeding the frontend – displaying data with D3.js Part 1

It’s been a while since I’ve posted any updates about Switchy McPortface. It works just fine in my dayjob and the data can be viewed by anyone wanting to see what is plugged into what, which has been helpful in a few situations. However, aside from a few customised tables and functions, there’s not really […]

, , , ,

Uploading data to a webserver Part 1 – C/C++ and CURL

Following on from the last post on the topic of capturing packet data from a network, this guide demonstrates how you can use a cURL library to upload data from an application written in C (or C++) to a webserver. Although at times I refer to previous examples, you can use this in any number of applications. This will touch […]

, , , , ,

Decoding LLDP and CDP packets using a TLV reader for C++

Further to my previous post, this post details how to interpret network discovery packets – LLDP and CDP – that have been captured on a network interface. To do this, I’ll explain how to create a Type, Length and Value reader that reads an array of characters, determines the type of packet and its subsequent data fields […]

, , , ,

Capturing LLDP and CDP packets using C++ and WinPcap

I’ll categorise and change the order of posts later perhaps, but here is the first in a series on how I made an application to record the switchport and vlan, of a switch, that a computer is connected to. This setup will work where: You have a Windows PC with Winsock installed (Windows XP or later […]


Progress update: network mapping tool thing

The last 6 months have become very busy, so I decided to take a break from the breaking (and fixing) of our servers and get back to the program I’ve been working on to map network information (for which I still have no real name for). Progress had been going quite well; by around December last year, […]

, ,

‹ Previous Posts